Application deadline: January 19, 2022 (Wednesday) at 5pm PST
Introducing undergraduates to the excitement of interdisciplinary research at the frontiers of knowledge is essential for training a new generation to participate in discovery. The Stanford Bio-X Undergraduate Summer Research Program (Bio-X USRP) began in 2006 and has provided nearly 800 undergraduate students with the opportunity to conduct hands-on and virtual research, build awareness of interdisciplinary areas, and network with Bio-X faculty, postdocs, graduate students, and each other. This formative experience influences their subsequent work at Stanford and beyond. In the summers of 2020 and 2021, despite the pandemic, Bio-X delivered on this promise to undergraduate cohorts of over 70 students each year and provided amazingly fruitful programs.
For the Summer 2022, the Bio-X USRP plans to award a stipend of $7500, with a need-based supplement of up to $1500 for eligible students (i.e. the equivalent of the VPUE/UAR major grant), for a 10-week period of full-time research (June 20th to August 26th). Students from underrepresented groups in STEM fields are encouraged to apply.
To create a community that they can learn from and network with, all students, regardless of whether they are engaged in hands-on lab work or virtual research, will participate in a comprehensive summer experience that extends beyond the lab:
- Weekly faculty talk series that exposes students to cutting edge research taking place on campus
- Weekly enrichment events such as scientific skill-building workshops and journal club meetings
- Research showcase event at the end of the summer
Interested applicants must submit a completed application by the deadline, fulfill Stanford Bio-X program commitments, and be in compliance with university eligibility requirements.
- The Stanford undergraduate student may come from any department on campus, and their mentor must be a Bio-X affiliated faculty member (cannot be consulting faculty). A list of Bio-X affiliated faculty may be found here. To become a Bio-X faculty affiliate, please email us.
- Co-terms who have not conferred their undergraduate degree may apply if the project fits into their undergraduate academic trajectory, e.g., honors thesis, capstone project, etc. Students paying graduate tuition on or before Summer 2022 are ineligible.
- The application may be completed by the student or faculty mentor after they have collaborated and agreed on a project.
- The faculty mentor must email their confirmation of mentorship by the application deadline for the application to be considered.
- All proposals must include a remote project option. Proposals that do not have a remote project plan will not be considered.
- The remote project plan is a version of the project that can be done remotely from a student’s place of residence. This remote option must not involve:
- any in-person engagement,
- local, domestic, or international travel,
- on-campus project facilities,
- or project facilities at other institutions or organizations.
- Both on-campus (hands-on lab work) and remote plans must be for a full-time effort (35+ hours per week). In the application, you will be asked to describe the project in 100 words, explain how it is interdisciplinary, and identify a direct mentor.
- Preference will be given to projects which are interdisciplinary in nature and are explicit in the methods (knowledge, techniques, or other skills) that the student would learn during the 10 weeks.
Stanford Bio-X Program Commitments:
To accept the award, students are required to confirm participation in our:
- weekly faculty talks
- weekly enrichment events
- culminating activity showcasing their summer research
Attendance will be expected of students, regardless of their location (in lab or at home). Whether or not the events will be virtual or in-person will be based on Covid protocols in Summer 2022. Students will be given advance notice of the schedule to ensure they work with their faculty mentor to prioritize these commitments.
Bio-X will also be providing supplementary educational programming, skill-building seminars, and more, in which participation is encouraged.
Exceptions to participation in the events, take classes, accept other work, or other absences from the program are not at the discretion of the faculty/mentor and must be discussed with the Bio-X program personnel prior to making any arrangements. Additional commitments cannot conflict with Bio-X programming; if taking an additional internship, job, or volunteer position, it cannot occur during work hours.
Stanford Bio-X reserves the right to rescind funding at any given point and time should they be apprised of any policy violations as outlined above or if the commitment to our summer programming is not met.
- Completed applications (including email confirmation of mentorship from faculty) are due by 5:00pm PST on January 19, 2022.
- Zoom interviews for the finalists will begin on February 7, 2022.
- The full-time ten week commitment to the program is from June 20th to August 26th, 2022.
- A list of labs who have contacted Bio-X with summer research openings can be found here
- A list of Bio-X affiliated faculty can be found here.
- A list of Stanford faculty who have previously mentored students in the program is available here. (You are not limited to faculty members on this list.)
- Please see previous projects here.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
Please review all of the program details and requirements above before applying.